People are always asking me what I do with kale.
I primarily use it to make green smoothies, as a side veggie for dinner (think sauteed kale & mushrooms) or in my scrambled eggs/omelette for brekkie.
But I’ve found a new use! Kale & Walnut Pesto; totally paleo friendly and great with grilled/steamed fish or chicken. Yum!!! Adapted from a recipe found [here]
Kale & Walnut Pesto
- ½ cup plain/raw, roughly chopped walnuts (or nuts of your choice like blanched almonds or macadamias)
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- about 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup Italian flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup grated sheep or goats hard cheese (or Parmesan cheese for those not inclined to the sheep or goat variety)
- ½ – 1 cup extra virgin olive oil or macadamia nut oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add nuts and stir constantly (or gently shake pan) until toasted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let the nuts cool.
Pulse garlic clove in food processor until it is chopped finely, about 30 seconds. Add kale, toasted nuts & cheese and pulse until chopped. You may have to stop the food processor, open the top, and push the kale down toward the blades.
With the food processor running on low, add olive oil in a steady stream until you get the consistency you want. I used just over 1/2 a cup of macadamia oil.
Season to taste with salt and pepper (about 1½ teaspoons salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper).