I find it a huge compliment when friends tell me that they think Jay & I have a great marriage.
We’ve been together since we were kids, which is a long time to build trust and love and friendship. Which are all things that I think make a successful relationship.
Not that I don’t sometimes struggle with these myself, but here are my ten rules for a happy relationship
- neglect the whole world rather than each other
- it takes two to quarrel and if you’re going to fight passionately, make sure you make up just as passionately!
- say I love you and share kisses and hugs every.single.day
- never hog the remote
- if you must criticize, do it lovingly
- leave the mistakes of the past in the past
- never go to sleep with an argument unsettled
- allow time for separate interests & friends, as well as shared adventures
- keep yourself right – look your best for your partner (no-one else wants to see you in daggy trakkies so why would your partner?)
- in the words of My Big Fat Greek Wedding, “be a lamb in the kitchen and a tiger in the bedroom”!